Love Love Love

I love my wife, my kiddo, our dog, and most of all...MY LIFE! I couldn't ask for anything more than what I already have. I get to spend time with those that love me, while doing the things that I love!!!

3.20.2009

Recipe Changing

So.....as the title suggests, I tried to cut a recipe in half the other day. I decided I wanted some fresh baked bread that evening. But, I did not want to deal with having to knead and let it rise and punch it down, etc. I am still not feeling well and I did not want to do all that work. SO...I put it in the bread machine. Not only did I change the recipe from an oven baking bread to a bread machine bread, but I also cut it in half. I don't know if you ever had to cut a recipe in half or not...but its not near as easy as just doubling a recipe. You can't just cut all the ingredients in half. There is some give and take that you have to do to get the tastes correct. So...it turned out...okay. I cut the salt too far back and you can definitely taste it. Other than that, it was delicious whole wheat bread and it definitely hit the spot.

I also made a dinner the other night that turned out to be SOOOO awesome. I don't know if you remember, or if I have even mentioned it, but I deemed March the month of all new meals. I have vowed not to make any of my standby, or GOTO meals as I call them. I am using my cookbooks and my beloved food blogs to find new and interesting foods to make. For the most part, this has brough us good luck. The shrimp fried rice I made for Rob and Lorelli did not turn out so well, but that I can not help because I refused to taste it as I was cooking it because I do not eat seafood. Tuesday night I decided to make my G.G.'s (great grandmother's) porcupine balls. I was pretty sure I knew how to do it, but I hunted down a recipe nonetheless. The end result was NOTHING like my GG's porcupine balls, but delicious, in spite of the changes I made. I changed the meat from groung beef to ground chicken. I doubled the recipe. I used garlic cloves in place of garlic salt. Try it for yourself. It was delicious. I am not good at measuring spices though, those are such particular things to the individual's tatebuds.

Porcupine Balls

1 lb ground meat of your choice
1/2 c UNcooked rice
1-3 garlic cloves, minced OR 1 t garlic salt
1 slice of onion, minced
pinch celery salt
pinch salt
several turns of freshly groung black pepper
1/4 c - 1/2 c milk
Worcestershire sauce
1 8oz can of tomato sauce OR 1 can of diced tomatoes
1/2 c water
1 T shortening or oil

In medium sized bowl mix rice, meat, garlic, onion, celery salt, salt, pepper, and 1/4c milk until well incorporated. If mixture is not quite wet enough, add a little more milk. Mixture should be slightly wetter than meatloaf consistency.

Form small to medium sized balls of mixture. Set aside on piece of foil or wax paper.

Heat pan to med-high with 1 T shortening or oil.

Cook meatballs in shortening, turning occasionally, until just brown on the outside, not crispy.

Add water, tomatoes or tomato sauce, and Worectershire sauce to pan, just to cover the meatballs.

Reduce heat to low, simmer for 30-45 minutes, or unti rice is tender and meatballs are cooked throughly.

Serve with mashed potatoes and sturdy vegetables. ENJOY!!!!

No comments: